Rapstar D Craze has dropped his first single ‘TOP DAWG’ off his upcoming project the ‘Recognition EP’.
The single was produced by one of the best yet sidelined producers, Real_i’ance, recorded, mixed, and mastered at Connect Studios by Tazz.
Top Dawg is a fusion of Kwaito vibes, and some bit of the South African’s amapiano- log drum.
D Craze highlighted that the whole ‘Recognition’ tape is so good from production, features, mastering, etc.
Unfortunately, the artist said that he is only going for exclusive radio releases ONLY.
For now, the public can only listen to the jam on Khulumani FM only.
This will apply to 2 of his next coming songs Low Key and Memories, both being extracts from the Recognition EP.
Here is an Interview we had with the artist:
D Craze Interview (Part 01)
- 01. What drew you to the project in the first place? Was marketing a factor, or was it word of mouth, or something else? I felt like doing an EP since its been 5 years now .I started doing this music thing ,,so it was wise for me to have my own Ep discovering my own sound.
- 02. Did this project grab you on first hearing, or did it need repeated listening before you started enjoying it? Why do you think that is? Was there deliberate attempt at accessibility? Yes it did a lot bruh especially the hook “TOP DAWG”,, honestly i think i vibe with this single a lot out all of my singles i have made so far
- 03. Does the whole project fit into a particular musical genre, or does it borrow from multiple forms? Can you spot key influences? Have these been merely copied or has there been development, updating or reworking? What was most original about the music? yes it does fit in particular genre ‘new age kwaito.’
- 04. Were you affected emotionally by the music? Can you identify particular moments when this happened? Did these moments reflect or coincide with intensity in the lyrics? yah i was affected coz there is this song i have done track number 3 on my EP “PHASES OF LIFE ” which talks abt my life ,,the Rilly life,,,the struggle,depression etc. When i made that song i was going through lot shit by that time.
- 05. Does the project stick in your mind because of the lyrics? Yes It does stick on my mind, just like the songs ,Low key, Phases of life ,Lit life and The whole upcoming project nje lol.
About the ‘Recognition EP’
- 06. Is there a consistent lyrical style through the EP, or a range? Is it immediately accessible, or does it require reflection? Do you sense that this is deliberate? I can’t really say but on kwaito vibes I think I’m just consistent e.g top Dawg & Nto zakhona .
- 07. Were there any key ideas or images which were inventive or which worked particularly well? Or some that were less successful? Yah jus one line from Top Dawg.
- 08. Did any lyrics allude to other songs (previous songs made) , ideas or art-forms? Is there any religious themes that get appropriated or subverted? Not really, I write my own lyrics ,,
- 09. Does the project express the point of view of different persona and characters? Or does it seem more autobiographical? Or perhaps observations and reflections on historical or contemporary events and and situations? Yes it does my bruh all songs on my EP gat different point of view ,,Good vibes ,sad moments, expressing love, etc.
- 10. What does the project’s title reveal, if anything, about the project’s impact and themes? (Recognition EP) basically it’s all about being recognized not by everyone but from my hood, other artists around the city ,radios not ukhuthi I have blown up nahh lol.
- 11. Do you detect any clear purpose in the way the project is structured? Is there a sense of progression or grouping? Or does it seem more like a string of stand-alone tracks? it’s a well structured project.
- 12. Are there hints of a consistent, underlying worldview through the project? What does it say about the nature of reality, morality or humanity? Are there ways in which this engages with, endorses or even challenges, a Christian worldview? How should we respond? at the moment am trying by all means to be consistent and to be relevant in the game.
- 01. If you didn’t become a musician, what would you be doing right now? Hiphop presenter,I love that thing inspired by Scoop Makhathini pushing the culture further.
- 02. What do you feel is the best song you’ve ever released and why? Nto zakhona ,,The sound was so good, the delivery was on point S/O to Smokey joint for the hook ,,Tariq bravo came up with a tight verse.
- 03. Which musician would you like to collaborate with next ? I would love to work with Smokey joint, Rockie Doub & Frost on one record.
- 04. f you can have your fans remember one thing about you, what would it be? Am forever Hiphop man.
- 05. If you could be a fruit, which one would you be and why? On a scale of 1-10, how good is your new single compared to your last one? Orange lol its juice you know. On scale of 1-10 I will say my single it’s 8- the reason being so, I have yet reached that level.
- 06. If you could date a local musician (Or Celebrity), who would it be and why? Lol i will say Khaya Drastic, she is nice and cute. She got a cute voice but I haven’t yet reached that level me personal as upcoming artist..
- 07. Do you think you could get any better as a musician?And If so, how would you achieve that? Thus a hard call, but definetly there’s more room for a change.
- 08. If you had one message to give your fans, what would it be? Thank you so much guys for you support the EP is coming might take time but its coming.
The Recognition EP will be released on a date to be announced soon.