This week we’re set to receive another fresh drop from the upcoming rap star Leslie Tyrex.
Tyrex, 19, idolized the hip hop vet P.O.Y, as the youngster is set to drop his latest offering titled ‘The Realest’.
The title of the project is ‘The Realest’ and everyone knows that P.O.Y uses the slogan ‘The Realest’.
Basically, the youngster gave P.O.Y his roses while he is still alive.
Leslie Tryex Biography
Born Thabo Leslie Khabo aka Leslie Tyrex is a young upcoming energetic hip hop /trap artist born in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe. He’s currently based in S.A Johannesburg.
Leslie Tyrex is determined to change the game of African hip hop, The 19-year-old rapper gained interest in music at the age of 9.
In 2017 he recorded his first demo 1 year later he contested on a talent show and he took the crown home which made him visible to local promoters and fans.
In 2018 he released his debut single Swag City which made noise on national radio stations.
He was interviewed and profiled on about 5 radio stations in Zimbabwe.
He is currently working on his first Ep and few single collabo tracks to drop before the Ep.
We had an interview with Leslie Tyrex as he spoke about his latest offering “The Realest”. Let’s find out more about what the artist had to say:
Leslie Tyrex Interview (Part 01)
- 01. What drew you to the project in the first place? Was marketing a factor, or was it word of mouth, or something else? It’s been a while since I last dropped a track (last dropped in 2019) so I made this song to mark my comeback into the music scene. It’s a self praise type of song titled “The Realest”. I also made this song as a tribute to The Realest, P.O.Y for his contribution to the Hip Hop industry and because he’s the one person who helped me find my way to my feet when I first came into the music scene.
- 02. Did this project grab you on first hearing, or did it need repeated listening before you started enjoying it? Why do you think that is? Was there deliberate attempt at accessibility? I think it was a banger from the jump because from the moment I made beat I could feel that this song was going to be legit.
- 03. Does the whole project fit into a particular musical genre, or does it borrow from multiple forms? Can you spot key influences? Have these been merely copied or has there been development, updating or reworking? What was most original about the music? The song is basically a Rap song, though the sound is rather modern and fused with a dark and aggressive trap and hardcore rap feel.
- 04. Were you affected emotionally by the music? Can you identify particular moments when this happened? Did these moments reflect or coincide with intensity in the lyrics? I’d say this song is partially personal because I’m saying I feel like The Realest rapper right now and I am appreciating P.O.Y for mentoring me as that helped me become the artist I am today! PS : I’ve never met POY in person, I only communicated with him on WhatsApp and that was somewhere around 2016-2018.
- 05. Does the project stick in your mind because of the lyrics? .Well yeah, the project has a lot of catchy bars and flows so it’s pretty exciting to listen to.
- 06. Is there a consistent lyrical style through the project, or a range? Is it immediately accessible, or does it require reflection? Do you sense that this is deliberate? Like I said, the song has a lot of catchy bars, flows and rhymes which are pretty simple to understand/grasp so yeah it was deliberate.
- 07. Were there any key ideas or images which were inventive or which worked particularly well? Or some that were less successful? The idea was to show my musical abilities and to appreciate POY and I think I was quite successful in that accord.
- 08. Did any lyrics allude to other songs (previous songs made) , ideas or art-forms? Is there any religious themes that get appropriated or subverted? No
- 09. Does the project express the point of view of different persona and characters? Or does it seem more autobiographical? Or perhaps observations and reflections on historical or contemporary events and and situations? It’s a personal project that simply expresses my musical abilities as an artist, while appreciating The Realest.
- 10. What does the project’s title reveal, if anything, about the project’s impact and themes? The title of the project is The Realest and everyone knows that P.O.Y uses The Realest as a background name, so this song is basically for giving POY his roses while he is still with us.
- 11. Do you detect any clear purpose in the way the project is structured? Is there a sense of progression or grouping? Or does it seem more like a string of stand-alone tracks? N/A
- 12. Are there hints of a consistent, underlying worldview through the project? What does it say about the nature of reality, morality or humanity? Are there ways in which this engages with, endorses or even challenges, a Christian worldview? How should we respond? N/A
Leslie Tyrex Interview Part 02
- 01. If you didn’t become a musician, what would you be doing right now? I would probably be doing a computer related job because I have always been good with computers plus I did computer science at school, so yeah I’d probably be a computer guy lol.
- 02. What do you feel is the best song you’ve ever released and why? My single, Swag City is still the best song I released, it’s a song for my home city (Bulawayo) and it was played on most local stations (zifm, skyz, Khulumani) and internationally it was played on Hillbrow FM(South Africa), Songscast Radio(USA) and Zanj Radio (Jamaica), It also got me interviewed on Khulumani FM. At the moment it has over 4000 views on my Songcast profile.
- 03. Which musician would you like to collaborate with next ? With my current project, I think it would be great if I could do a remix for this song with P.O.Y, I mean if I am going to do a song titled The Realest, there ain’t a better candidate to collaborate with than “The Realest”.
- 04. If you can have your fans remember one thing about you, what would it be? My positive spirit, I am one person who always tries to see the best out of every situation.
- 05. If you could be a fruit, which one would you be and why? On a scale of 1-10, how good is your new single compared to your last one? I would be a nut because I am very hard to crack/break. On a scale of 10 I would give this new single a 10 (i mean,why not?) and comparing it to my last single, this song is much bigger and better, trust me this is a banger.
- 06. If you could date a local musician (Or Celebrity), who would it be and why? Tamy Moyo, besides the fact that she inspires me she’s pretty attractive so yeah.
- 07. Do you think you could get any better as a musician?And If so, how would you achieve that? es, the best is yet to come. I believe to achieve that I got to be consistent, practise more, connect with other people in the Industry and hopefully attract firms who can sponsor and promote my craft.
- 08. If you had one message to give your fans, what would it be? Always choose to see the best out of every situation and last but not least, always keep a stable relationship with your Maker (God).
The ‘Realest’ single will be made available on all digital platforms.